Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day 2 - Finally out of  the rain

After a peaceful nights rest in Sweetwater, TX, loaded up and put on my rain jacket, just in case.

Dodging thunderstorms again.  Coming up on one approaching Plainview I started to pull off on a county road and wait under an overpass and check the radar picture.  But, I could not exit.  Water had the exit ramp flooded.  I was riding in 3" of water and decided to get back on the highway.  Surprise, the water was completely covering over the slow lane and into the fast lane.  I got past it and stopped under the overpass anyway.  At least it was about a 5' shoulder.  After waiting a good half hour for the radar picture to improve I decided to venture forth again.

This storm was still hanging onto Plainview so I cut west on Texas 194 and followed it up to  I-40.  Best choice of the day.  No rain other than a few sprinkles.

Headed west on I-40 and stopped in Tucumcari, NM to look around the Blue Swallow Motel, which some of you have been to in the past on the New Mexico ride-ins.  Met the new owners then stopped at Denny's for a late lunch.

When walking out  of Denny's I went around the corner of the building and saw about 15-20 bikers riding in a group called U.S. Military Veterans.  Decided to socialize a bit and ended up recognizing one of the riders.  We had shared a Spring Break Ride about 2 years ago to Las Cruces, NM.  He is from Fort Worth and they were headed into Arizona for their ride.

Leaving Tucumcari I was pelted with a short, hard shower, the worst of the day, but it only lasted  about 5-10 miles.  Stopped in Santa Rosa, NM for the night.

Ending mileage for the day was: 160,523, which made exactly 400 miles for the day.

No comments: