Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Day 1 - I am tired

Woke up this morning and checked the weather.  Another big thunderstorm is bearing down on Houston.  It was still north of us so decided to take the wife out to breakfast at the New York Bagel Shop.  Most excellent as usual.  Probably why it is one of our favorites.

Got back home and it was still sprinkling but it looked like it was moving more to the east and just a little to the south.  Put on my rain gear and headed west along the southern edge of the storm.  Had rain for about 50 miles and broke out into sunshine.  Nice surprise.

Clouded back up and started some light sprinkling, so decided it was time to refuel as I was about 20 miles from Austin.  Checked weather radar again.  Another big thunderstorm was moving into Austin from the south so decided to wait a while and check its progress later.  Second check showed it centered on Austin AND another cell was following it a little further to the west.

When the first one cleared the southern edge of Austin I took off as my route was around that side of town.  I got through there with just wet roads then angled northwest and managed to slip right between the two cells.  I did not want to hit Austin around lunch time with ongoing construction and thunderstorms.  Plan worked out but set back my timing for the day.

I stopped about 90 miles later in Brady and a lady asked if I was headed south.  I replied I was headed north.  She said that was good because she had just heard on the radio that 4 tornadoes had touched down in Blanco County.  That would have been the thunderstorm that I managed to avoid.

After that the day got hot.  I finally stopped in Sweetwater and got a room for the night.  It was already after 6 and I had started just after 8 this morning.  About 10 hours and only 421.7 miles.  Bike just purring along.

Ending mileage for the day: 160,123

2 comments:

Unknown said...

gonna enjoy your blog, Ray....keep it up.

Unknown said...

Those be the same bagels you brought me at gotf last year?
Good stuff indeed !

Carry on Ray