Monday, June 01, 2015

Day 6

Awoke in Fallon, Nevada at 57 degrees and nice clear skies.

With prior experiences with leather jacket, fleece lined denim shirt, and starting out on a cool morning and then suffering all day long I decided to wear a light, long sleeved t-shirt.  Rather on the cool side for sure.

Departed Fallon in the very brisk morning and got cold very quickly.  Rode to the town of Fernley, just before Sparks, NV and took the exit to get onto I-80.  Surprise, there was a Denny's and I was cold.  Guess what I did?  Yep, right into the parking lot and had breakfast again at Denny's along with several cups of coffee.

I cannot believe how much the city of Sparks has grown since my last visit to the area.  I took the exit onto US-395 north and could not believe it was 3 lanes of traffic each way and those coming into town were packed tight in all lanes for several miles.  Rush hour in Sparks.  It was 8 o'clock.

At least it had warmed up a little bit.  Beautiful start to the day.  Moved over the line into California and realized how much I had missed the state of my birth.  After leaving Susanville it was wonderful.  All the redwoods and pine trees smelled good.

I did pass the area of one of their large forest fires last year around the Hat Creek area,  You could still smell the burn.  I had one area of construction with a flagman controlling things.  Was only stopped for about 10 minutes.  The flagman warned me to look out for the deer.  That morning they had picked up 4 dead deer along that highway.

Overall, the entire trip today was pretty uneventful until I arrived in Yreka and called my new friend John Ellis ('Farther' on the VRCC board).  He had offered to put me up for the night.  He met me at a Shell station and let me to his home.  Very comfortable and pleasant surroundings.  He even fed me pizza for dinner and has offered to cook me breakfast in the morning.  (Sorry, no Denny's tomorrow).  And even now I am using his computer to do this update.  What a friend.  Even did two light loads of laundry for me.

Although the day warmed up from the past two days, today it stayed on the 60's for me all day.

Total mileage at the end of the day is 162,107.  This makes the lowest total miles for a day yet at 312.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been riding along with you from the start Bird, but You must be having too much fun in one location.