Friday, July 03, 2009

The Conception of Early Bird

It was 2008 and friends on the National VRCC board started talking about a ride for lunch to Pat's in Henderson, Louisiana.

Now Henderson is about 243 miles from my home in Houston. But, I thought that if I get up early I can ride over there and meet them all for lunch and surprise everybody. And get some good Cajun food in the process.

Well, I got up and left the house at 6:00 a.m. Arrived at Pat's about 11:00 and figured I was early so sat around enjoying the warm weather, the bayou and getting acquainted with the owner, Pat, the past mayor of the town of Henderson.

Noon comes and goes and so does 1 o'clock. I finally went inside and had a delightful bowl of gumbo and gave up on the rest of them and headed back to Houston.

After arriving home and checking the bulletin board I found that about 6:30 they had made a decision to not do the lunch run until the next day due to a few thunderstorms in the area. Some of them were riding about 100 miles, so it was postponed.

And so Early Bird was conceived.........

No comments: